Sunday, June 15, 2008

What keeps me busy

Yes, I can't believe it has been 4 weeks since we ended school!!! I don't know what I have been busy doing, other than cleaning, dusting and watering plants. We have heard more reliable rumors about the road being paved soon, but from what I hear, most people won't believe it until they see it with their own eyes. That will be great, if it does get paved, of course when they start it, it will just be even dustier!!!!!!!!
I am teaching a summer class for a couple of my English students. Their grammar is a bit weak so we are working on the basics. Hopefully they will be ready to go starting in August!!! I am getting excited about next year. I should be busy, but not too busy. I won't do as much as I have in the past, but then maybe I will be able to help out in new areas.
Wycliff missionaries have been pouring in, along with new Portuguese students. I have had one couple over, and hope to have more. It is nice to get to know these people as we learn where they are from and things we have in common. I love hearing peoples stories ( just like I love reading them) and so we have enjoyed this process.
Yesterday we had a garage sale. It is a great way to spend time with your neighbors, and they all come!!! A few will try and hassle a lower price, but most don't. I think the ones who know you well, will as it is their custom, but most are just excited to be able to get nice American things for very little!!! I sold most of the little things, cleared out about 6 suitcases of junk. But I still have one suitcase left; mostly things I didn't want to give away, so the prices were a bit higher.
After the garage sale we went with our friends Andy and Gina to Goiania and spent our hard earned cash ( and believe me it is a lot of work!!!) on groceries at Sam's. It was fun to get away, and go to McDonalds. Walk around in a clean, air conditioned mall, and laugh with friends. All in all, a nice day!!!
Well, I am sure there will be more updates, but mostly they will say the same things, cleaned and dusted today, played with the kids, watered the plants, taught a class or two. Once in a while I will cook a nice meal and invite friends over. Isn't summer grand!!!!! Just miss our pond in Maine, now that would be nice!!! We are praying about getting a way for a few days to a resort area near by. Word of Life has places we can stay at for very little and nice heated pools (remember it is winter) so hopefully we can do that soon.

No comments: